I prefer breakfast in bed…
… but if I have to do breakfast on the go, it’s usually overnight oats. They come together all on their own in the fridge while I sleep, they’re a fiber-rich, satiating breakfast with lots of room for variation. If you follow me on Instagram, you probably know I like to add pureed cauliflower, sweet potato or banana to my oats. It bulks them up, adds flavor and nutrients, and it’s the perfect way to sneak some vegetables in first thing. If you haven’t tried it, now is your chance!
I’m fortunate enough to be able to try Flora’s new line of Mānuka honey in these oats.
Mānuka honey not only adds a sweet taste, but this line is also UMF™-certified, MGO-graded and 100% traceable – all you have to do is scan the NFC tag on the label to access batch, region, lab test and UMF™ certification info. Not to mention, Flora Mānuka Honey is made in partnership with the Te Arawa māori tribe, a 100% Maori-owned beekeeping operation in New Zealand. All profits from this partnership go directly back into the tribe. The Mānuka tree is native to New Zealand, and the honey that comes from pollinating this tree is rich in MGO (methylglyoxal).
For this recipe we’re using the 250+ strength which signifies the MGO content. It’s not the strongest mānuka honey in the line, but it’s perfect for when you need a little extra support. You can also use the 100+ or 30+ strengths.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 medium sweet potato, baked, skin removed
- 1 tbsp Flora Manuka Honey (100+ or 250+ MGO strength)
- Chopped assorted citrus for garnish
- Puree sweet potato in a small food processor or with a hand mixer. Add mānuka honey and puree a bit more until smooth and creamy.
- Combine rolled oats, non-dairy milk, ground flax seed, and vanilla in a bowl. Add sweet potato mixture and stir thoroughly. The mixture should have an even consistency.
- Separate into two glass jars with fitted lids and store in the fridge overnight. In the morning, give it a stir, throw some chopped citrus on top, and take it to go!