Risotto is one of those dishes people think is much harder to execute than it actually is.
Make this tasty beet risotto even easier by using Flora’s organic beet crystals (US/CA) in place of messy beet pulp and give your risotto a beautiful color with a delicious beet taste to match. Top with poppy seeds and goat cheese and you’ll have a dish that seems deceptively difficult—ready to impress even the fussiest foodie at your dinner party.
- 7 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 5 scoops Salus Red Beet Crystals (US/CA)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (US)
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups Arborio rice (1 1/4 pounds)
- 6 ounces young pecorino cheese, freshly grated (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 ounces goat cheese, for garnish (optional)
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds, plus more for garnish
- In a saucepan, bring the stock to a simmer. Add beet crystals to stock and stir until dissolved.
- In a medium pan, melt butter into the oil. Add onion and garlic and cook over medium-high heat, constantly stirring, until softened and translucent.
- Add rice to the pan and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add 1 cup of beet crystal stock (prepared in step 1) to rice and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the stock is nearly absorbed. Continue adding stock 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly, until the rice is al dente and a thick sauce forms (about 22 minutes).
- Once risotto has reached proper thickness, stir in pecorino and poppy seeds. Cook, stirring constantly, until heated through; add a few tablespoons of water if the risotto is too thick.
- Spoon risotto into bowls. Garnish with sliced beets, poppy seeds, and goat cheese (optional) and serve.